This is not fast food. This is real tasty wholesome beefy low carb goodness. All wrapped up in a lettuce leaf (not original, but it works)…
Yeah I know F for the photography. But honestly what with the sizzling and the awesome smell I simply couldn’t concentrate!
On with the show…
Low Carb Beef Burgers
Firstly, no you won’t be buying “low carb plastic buns” for these beauties. Why spoil a good home-cooked thing with something factory made and shrink-wrapped? And don’t even get me started on All Purpose Bake Mix!
What you need…
Ground beef. Around 500g or 1lb. 1 onion finely diced, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon of ground coriander, 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard, salt & pepper plus a drop or two of olive oil.
To serve – onions cut into rings, fresh tomatoes, cheddar cheese, dill pickles and some crispy lettuce leaves. Mayonnaise, coleslaw and tomato salsa wouldn’t hurt either.
What to do…
- First up mix up your burgers. Scrunch up all the burger ingredients with your hands till thoroughly combined. Divide into two and form your burger patties. They should be pretty fat buggers, so at least 3/4″ deep.
- Put into the refrigerator for 20 minutes to firm up.
- When you’re ready to start cooking heat up a heavy ridged griddle pan, or skillet till really hot (it should be hard to hold your hand over it for more than a few seconds).
- Rub a little oil onto the surface of each burger and then place oil side down onto the hot griddle.
- Turn the heat down to medium and cook for around 10 minutes before turning over and cooking the other side for another 5 minutes or so. Add a slice of cheese to each for the last few minutes so it melts lusciously into all that beefy goodness.
- If you are patient you can create a beautiful griddled criss-cross pattern on each side. Or you can turn them occasionally to check how they’re doing and create far less photogenic burgers more like mine!
- When the burgers are nearly ready fry up the onion rings in a little oil.
To serve wrap cheese coated burger, tomatoes, fried onion, pickles and mayo into a large crispy lettuce leaf and enjoy.